Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Yuletide mischief.


Well i'll say. The run-up to Christmas has been hectic. i'm only now realizing that the day itself is, in fact, tomorrow. While the fact that Christmas has managed to sneak up on me is in part probably due to natural light being practically absent and days being disconcertingly short, it's also due to the fact that i've been too busy to sit around counting down the days like i used to, back in the day.


Instead i've occupied my time with a precariously balanced marriage of work and play. Going to work in the sleepy darkness of the morning and emerging therefrom at an equally dark hour seems to have wreaked havoc with any sort of natural body clock i might have once had. I find myself frequently at bars and other after-dark establishments until the wee hours of the morning, celebrating someone's birthday, little christmas, or simply the fact that it happens to be a Tuesday (which is a perfectly acceptable reason to celebrate). While this is all fun and games, the daily toiling, nocturnal frolicking and averaging of four hours of shuteye per night has finally caught up with me; i've managed to catch a vicious cold that has rendered me speechless, grumpy and achy. Which means i'll probably be spending Christmas in bed with some Finrexin and a pen and paper as my only means of communication. Which probably serves me right. Oh well, at least i had a good run. And some pics to document it. 



I've written before about the curative properties of various types of chilled, blended fruit beverages. Here's a christmas version i had one morning. I threw in frozen blueberries, cranberry juice, glogi, ice, ground flaxseed and goji berries. And it brought me back to life, it did. 




One happy night at Kuudes linja, where a couple of kids decided to dance on tables outside in temperature that was well below freezing. Altogether a great idea and a brilliant night.


 
One is never too old to believe in Santa Claus. Or receive a Cthulhu stuffed toy from said geriatric, while he downs drink after drink and makes lewd jokes. Which is what happened at this particular gift-swapping shindig. But hell, that little green, winged, octopus creature is the shit. Not many can say the go to bed every night with The Great Old One.



A day trip to wintery Tallinn, featuring my mother, sister, cousin and two aunts. Our expedition enjoyed some hardcore snowfall, delicious food and copious amounts of mulled wine to warm the soul. I never knew how much fun day trips with the extended family can be. This is going to have to become an annual tradition. 



I haven't managed to break the habit of buying presents for myself yet, and i figured a small bottle of perfume could be a personal Christmas present. I'll put it under the tree with a little gift tag reading "For Nina. Love, Nina". I love this perfume though, it' all old school glamour with powdery, rosy nuances in the mix. Also love the scarf the perfume is pictured on, which was a birthday present from a certain lovely lady. In addition to the perfume, I also bought 24 bottles of Crowmoor cider, but i figured putting a pic of the perfume might be a little more classy. And wont serve to advocate a careless lifestyle centered on late nights and whimsical fancies in the run-up to Christmas. 
Now if i could only heed my own words.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Creative Commons Lisenssi
Tämän teosteoksen käyttöoikeutta koskee Creative Commons Nimeä 1.0 Suomi-lisenssi.