Monday, May 24, 2010

A One Night Stand

There was something significant about Saturday night. In addition to savoring the glorious feeling of a subsiding hangover, standing in line outside Nosturi, i was taking in the buzzing anticipation rippling through the crowd. Bittersweet as it may be, this is the one and only, last ever gig Finnish punk fiends Manifesto Jukebox and Endstand are ever gonna play. 


The folks in line know this, and this is surely a show some of them have been looking forward to for years. At nine in the evening, the line is immense - the second half of which was behind me at the time the above photo was taken. Nosturi is sold out. 


The place is packed. After making it inside, i spend most the Wasted gig trying to find a spot where 160 cm is a tall enough height to get a view of the stage. These spots are scarce in a sea of fist-pumping people and the occasional stage-obscuring Mohawk.


Manifesto Jukebox has been around since 1998. It's clear these guys know what they're doing, and after the first five minutes it becomes evident their attitude hasn't suffered  regardless of their absence from the Finnish punk scene in the past couple of years. I gotta hand it to Antti Luukkainen. In addition to being rather charming in his role as vocalist for the Atom Notes and singing bluesy tunes in Last Calls, he manages a rather convincing scream. My admiration is cut short when, suddenly, from somewhere in the dimness, a pint comes sailing and hits me in the head. Having stated my whopping height above, and the ratio of tall people and even taller hair, i'm not sure how this was possible, seeing as i was quite concealed (at least when it came to glimpsing the stage). Nevertheless, the plastic vessel in question managed to avoid every head but mine. I almost had to laugh when it happened - this was clearly karmic payback for the unproductive and slightly hazardous habit of pint-throwing i sometimes slip into in the wee hours of the night. That'll teach her. There's no question, i deserved it.


By the time the band finishes, the heat is becoming intense. I race to the bar (along with half of the folks there) and, after deciding not to risk what's promising to be a good night with a beer, order a pint of coke. I weave my way in back through the crowd and we settle in front of the black curtain drawn in front of the stage and wait.

  

I've never seen Endstand before, i've only heard stories describing the relentless energy of frontman Janne Tamminen. And i'm not disappointed. He looks like a big kid on stage. Until he opens his mouth. And roars. He has a presence, and he puts all of it into the music. A circle pit forms almost instantly, drawing half of the people present into the spiraling whorl. There's clapping and screaming. There are fists in the air. There are people on stage, jumping into the audience. There are people who have flown in just to see this gig.  "We're just a bunch of small town guys who had too much time on their hands - if we can do this anyone can", Janne says. Too quickly, the gig is over and the guys have left the stage. I realize my t-shirt is sticking to my back. I turn around, look into the crowd and see something i've never seen before: the roof of Nosturi is sliding open. It looks more than a little surreal, seeing the clouds from inside. The night air feels nice. What a night of firsts and lasts.


5 comments:

  1. That was the awesomest punk gig I've been to in a while. Period.
    Manibox didn't really do it for me, though I've seen them play good gigs before. Too bad you haven't caught Endstand on stage before... Their energy is amazing! Made me remember why I started going to punk gigs in the first place.

    And cool to see you there! didn't realize there were other punkweirdos at Kepa :)

    -Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It was something else entirely! Endstand definitely stole the show - glad to have caught them before it was too late. And the roof opening, now that was cool.

    Kepa and Endstand really didn't connect in my mind, so it took me a while before i realized that's the setting i usually see you in. And even then it's often in the kitchen at some late hour when no-one's supposed to be working anymore.

    Be that as it may, Kepa punkweirdos unite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The roof-thing was amazing, it was a first-timer for me as well.

    Yep, the Maailman kuvalehti -team are sometimes a bunch of niteowls. And soon it's going to be "that time of the month" again ;D (Actually tomorrow)

    Unite and stuff, yeah. Seen this one guy with a combat rock tee sometimes, dunno his name. Bald guy, a tad older... Think he had a Rattus shirt as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey niteowl, i was stuck at the office yesterday until past six myself (isn't it grand on a Friday?) - was gonna drop in to say hi, but couldn't find you.

    I think the other dude might be Samuli from the library, perhaps. He's a punk if there ever was one.

    So what's next in line in terms of gigs? Converge, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you, sorry I havent responded to this! Didn't check in here for a while for some reason :/

    Yeah, I think i left at six-ish on friday. Then I spent the following week at the entrance exams for Taik, ugh! But now were back in business with le mägäzine again... Until tomorrow or maybe thursday, can't remember.

    I could drop by your office or something tomorrow, if you're not too busy?

    You leaving Kepa btw?

    Converge might be cool. You going? I just noticed that the Radio dept. gig is at tavastia tomorrow, Thats maybe a bit less punk but seems cool anyway :) Don't know if I have the time to go though...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Creative Commons Lisenssi
Tämän teosteoksen käyttöoikeutta koskee Creative Commons Nimeä 1.0 Suomi-lisenssi.